Yesterday I had been to passport office. There were so many things to do. I had to wait in big queue for getting inside the building. Later, I had to sit in a big waiting hall, to take an appointment. It was funny, yes, u move seat by seat, when the first person, few rows before you finishes his query with the passport officer. After a wait of two hours my turn came. Can you believe he gave me appointment date in august for tatkal?? What is the purpose of tatkal?
I went to passport office. It is too good, the ambiance and the service too. At par with the corporate culture, it didn’t feel like I was in a govt office. Luckily I had all my documents with me in order. Within two hours everything, including the cancellation of old passport was done.
Now next task is taking passport for the bunty. I am just getting worried, if I have to take for the appointment and stand in the queue for hours together. My god, even the thought of it is making me dizzy.
Now coming back I had lots of questions:
– Is passport office trying to get more revenue by making ppl take new passport after they get married in the name of spouse name addition, change of address, renewal etc etc.?
– Now, if you have to take passport for the kid, new rule is that, parents should have added their spouse name in their respective passport. That means, two fees to be paid, then third fees for the kid?.
– Minor passport expires in 5 years, so take the kid, u as the guardian go along to with the kid for renewing it every five years?.
– How does this system work abroad, where changing partners is common, u have a biological father and guardian too?
– Is it IRCTC, where major revenue is through ticket cancellation, passport offices too get money majorly from renewal and addition of spouse name and change of address?
I took my passport when I was in college, that too because it was compulsory for attending placements. I didn’t bother about adding spouse name after getting married, as I thought marriage certificate will do when I travel. But now, when I have to take passport for my baby, all this has come up. Worst part is doing it all alone when your hubby is not staying with you. Other problem is my old passport is Chennai issued; now I need to get in vizag. Both mine and hubby’s passport have different address. so it a problem when i have to take passport for bunty.
finally all this is because, i didn’t want to pay the fees for just adding spouse name, when my passport still has validity. why cant adding spouse name be just a stamping on one of the pages, instead of making me a new passport. 😦