Last year I wanted to participate in this child sex abuse awareness program, but somehow it was late then, or maybe I dint make up my mind and have guts to speak it out.
This year, I have a 9 months old daughter with me. I don’t want anything unfortunate to happen to her, for that matter, to any child (male/female) hereafter.
Neither did my parents want such things to happen to me, but it did happen.
Survivor /Victim first person stories:
I was 4 years old. I was a person who always wanted to go out and play in sand. I lived in a secure township. We had a park located few blocks away from my house. Every day I with my other friends, who were little older than me go to park to play at 4 in the evening. One day, a teenager boy must be 15 or 16 years old came to me. He said he will show me something interesting and also give me a chocolate. I didn’t know what a chocolate could cost me. He took me behind one of play equipments. He started to open up his pants and showed me his organs and he just opened mine and showed me the difference. A minute later a lady from behind shouted and he just ran away from there. I sat there in ignorance. The lady immediately took me home and from then I was not allowed to go to park alone.
Years later, when I was in my teenage, I was used to travel in shuttle buses from school to hospital or friends place or market place. People (men) used to fall on me, many a times I thought it was accidental and never raised my voice until someone intentionally lifted up my skirt to feel me. I just told my mom, only after going back home. If at all my mom had warned me before, I would have stood up against the fellow then and there.
Months later when I was at my grandparent’s house, heartbreaking incident happened. I and my cousin were born in the same month. Both of us grew up together. But, difference grew up with age. One fine day he said, he likes me. I just gave it a laugh. But later on he started following me where I went. Once I saw him hiding under the bed, waiting for me to come out of bathroom after bath. Luckily I came out dressed. What if I had come out with just a towel?
From then on, I couldn’t trust him. For that matter, I took too many years to accept any men in my life. Falling in love and breaking up made it worse. Thank god, I found a right guy and married him. Or else I would have hated men community for my life time.
If you too want to contribute then, Here are the details:
A lot of you have been asking us how to take part in this, what are the rules etc. We want to keep it as open as we can. Any thoughts? Please share. However for the convience of everyone we have put together the ways you can contribute as well as some very broad guidelines…
If you would like to add to the discussion or know somebody else who would, please note that we welcome entries
- mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- posted as FB notes and linked to Child Sexual Abuse Awareness Month Page OR
- posted on your own blog with the badge and linked to the main blog OR
- linked or posted on Twitter tagged twitter.com/CSAAwareness OR
The list of topics is available here. Anonymous contributions are accepted and requests for anonymity will of course be honoured.
Please remember to send in a mail with all necessary links or just your input to email@example.com so that we can track your contribution and make sure that it is not inadvertently lost or something.
1) Please precede the title of your post with CSAAM April 2011. Then add a hyphen and your title.
2) Please insert the badge html(above) in your post. If you carry it on your sidebar for the entire month of April too apart from just within your post, we would be honoured.
3) If you refer to sources for information kindly italicise that part of your post which is taken from the source and provide the link to the original source in a bracket.
4) Please do avoid any graphic descriptions of the abuse. Stay as factual as possible if you’re doing first person accounts