I have seen so many people making a “style statement” saying I don’t wear Mangalsutra. I don’t know why? What is harm in wearing it?. I am not against people not wearing it( repeating it). It’s their comfort and preference; I just hate people who say it to show off. I know people who remove it during night, as it pricks them or during bath or while traveling. But they don’t advertise it. It’s purely functional. Even there are few people who say that, they don’t like wearing it. I don’t hate them also. I hate the once who wear it, but just remove it to show off that they are trendy.
Finally there came a day when I had to justify to one of those ladies why I wear Mangalsutra. Don’t you think it’s weird? Yes, but such things do happen.
So here is the reply what I gave her in points, like how we write in exams.
- I wear it because I want to look married and acknowledged.
- I feel secure when I am alone.
- It has become a part of me like an organ, so I don’t have problem wearing it all the time J
- I feel it’s an accessory and collection in my jewels.
- Its play thing for my daughter when I breastfeed her.
- It’s a store place to hang my house keys and safety pins.
- It’s a symbol of love for me with lots of good memories related to my marriage.
- I feel there is power to things which are done with blessing of god, people and Agni.
- I treasure as it is the first gift my in-laws have given me in gold.
- I am thinking of the tenth point and I am not getting it. so, I end up saying I like wearing it.. J